Host of the press conference on March 17, Mr. Nguyen Huu Nghiep, Deputy Director of Ho Chi Minh City Customs Department, reported: On the morning of March 16, the suitcases of the flight attendants of Vietnam Airlines flight VN010 (from Charles-de-Gaulle Airport (Paris, France) to Tan Son Nhat Airport (Ho Chi Minh) City, Vietnam) contained prohibited goods.
4 flight attendants officially arrested (not 3 as previously reported) include:
- Dang Phuong Van (Đặng Phương Vân), born on October 7, 1996 in Hanoi, Passport no. C8786843;
- Nguyen Thanh Thuy (Nguyễn Thanh Thuỷ), born on August 1, 1986 in HCMC; (chief flight attendant). Passport no. C4303869.
- Tran Thi Thu Ngan (Trần Thị Thu Ngân), was born on October 20, 1993 in Khanh Hoa province, Passport no. C2486370.
- Vo Tu Quynh (Võ Tú Quỳnh), was born on Dec 04, 1993 in HCMC, Passport no. C9802072.
Their suitcases contained ecstasy and ketamine (8 kg of ecstasy and more than 3 kg of narcotics, white powder) disguised in foreign toothpaste tubes. Total 11.4kg.
- In which, the luggage of Vo Tu Quynh (1993) contained 43 boxes of toothpaste with the words “Signal Expert White” printed on the outside. 31 of these boxes contain many gray capsules weighing about 3,42kg. The remaining 12 boxes contain white powder weighing about 80gram.
- In the luggage of Nguyen Thanh Thuy (1986) there were also 43 boxes of toothpaste on the outside with the words “Signal Expert White”, 31 boxes containing many gray capsules weighing about 2.18kg, 12 boxes containing white powder. weight about 1kg.
- In the luggage of Dang Phuong Van (1996) there were 2,020 grams of gray capsules and 2,000 grams of white powder;
- The luggage of Tran Thi Thu Ngan (1993) contained 780 grams of gray capsules.
On the afternoon of March 17, the Customs Department of Ho Chi Minh City held a press conference to announce the incident that shocked public opinion.
Previously, the Tan Son Nhat International Airport Customs Department coordinated with the Drug Crime Mobile Police Department of the Police of Ho Chi Minh City temporarily detained 4 flight attendants on the flight from France to Tan Son Nhat Airport (Ho Chi Minh City), which landed at 8:10 am on March 16.
The flight attendants were shocked to learn that there was drugs in their toothpaste. These people cried and said that while in France, a Vietnamese (unidentified) asked to “carry some goods” and paid more than 10 million VND.
Meanwhile, a representative of the flight attendants of Vietnam Airlines (a state-owned airline) said: “The arrested flight attendants are all young. Their family members asked to send their belongings, so they did not take precautions.”
Talking to the press, Deputy Director of the Customs Department of Ho Chi Minh City said that the amount of drugs seized in this case was very large and especially serious. If this amount of drugs enters Vietnam, it will have a great impact on security and society, causing unpredictable consequences.
4 Vietnam Airlines flight attendants including: Vo Tu Quynh, Tran Thi Thu Ngan, Nguyen Thanh Thuy and Dang Phuong Van.
According to inside information in the Vietnam Airlines flight attendants leaked online, flight attendant Tran Thi Thu Ngan (1993) whose sister-in-law is living in France is the mastermind of the above drugs.
Only 1 out of 4 flight attendants knew it was drugs, the rest didn’t.
Currently, Ngan’s sister-in-law has fled to the Netherlands. There are rumors that the case was notified by the Customs of Charles-de-Gaulle Airport (Paris, France) to the Vietnamese side for arrest.
It is known that with the above amount of drugs, the flight attendants will face the highest sentence of Vietnamese law, which is the death penalty.